The First Congregational Church of South Paris was organized on November 14, 1812 by twelve women and two men. The first meetinghouse was erected in 1819 on the hill at Brimstone Corner on Oxford Street.
In 1835, a smaller version of the Church was taken apart; brought down off the hill; and rebuilt in Abijah Hall¹s garden, where it resides to this day.
In 1859, the vestry was added and the sanctuary enlarged. The organ was purchased in 1890; a new church bell in 1941; and in 1959 the front porch was added.
In May 1961, to preserve its congregational heritage, the people voted to join the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches.
In 1996, the exterior of the Church building was extensively renovated and painted.
In 1997, an elevator was added to the back of the church and new siding placed on the Haskell House.
The current minister is Reverend Donald Mayberry who has been here since August 2001. In addition to his work within the church, he takes an active role in community events.